2010-11-07

Bigfoot

Starbucks, as well as being a reliable supplier of Earl Grey tea, has one other useful function in my life. It serves as a cocoon in which Becka can cool down as the intervening days' interactions with Chinese people angers her more and more. For example, today at lunch it took ages for her meal to arrive. She had paid as soon as we ordered but the waitress didn't bring the change for ages-not until I had asked twice in fact. Normally I just lol but Becka gets Irritated and little things like that build up until she is snorting fire. But in Starbucks she is surrounded by courteous people and can drink a nice coffee to relax.

I spent a while playing with my new toy. It does many wonderful things. In the end, Becka conviscated it so I would do my homework.

In Starbucks I bumped into Peter who suggested I try Mykal- rumour has it they stock bigger shoe sizes. *Fingers crossed*

Met up with Vivien and her roommate, Candy, for dinner. Candy was utterly petrified by two Laowais and didn't say much at first. But she burst out laughing when I told her my shoe size (42? HAHA!) so I think we got on ok. I like Vivien- she is very cute. I think I might brave the hairdresser's next week and she said she couldn't wait to see the end results:P

Viven asked what the English was for the restaurants we eat at. I said we still say restaurant but that word is rather grandiose for what can often be a simple room, plaster cracking, with mismatched stools and tables. Cats weaving between the legs. Owner's bed behind a screen at the back. Although what is impressive is that the menus tend to be quite extensive yet anything ordered arrives pretty quickly. I wonder- do they cook it from scratch, or do they have pots of common denominator ingredients they pick and mix from? I'd ask to see the kitchen but I've been told ignorance is bliss when it comes to Chinese kitchens. Not very clean apparently...

No comments: