2010-11-16

Apple and Blackberry Crumble 怎么说?

Apparently I neglected to narrate the Saga of the New Shoes. So here it is ;)

I finally conceded that the only way I could buy large shoes was by going to the (expensive) western brand stores. I had tried out the Converse store in Jusco to no avail. Normally I hate Converse. They are ugly. And emo. But they are very practical and at least look nicer that all out trainers so I was in the hunt. I headed off to Mykal to Begin. Predictably the shoe section did not have any in but I tried out my Chinese on some unsuspecting assistants and spent many happy hours trying to explain what Converse were. In the end something I said struck a chord and one rang up another department and said "布鞋" , buxie, which sounds rather similar to 不鞋, buxie, which Becka took to mean "no shoes" and began to get exasperated but I, who had attended that partiular lesson, realised he meant cloth shoes, which is what Converse are, so we eagerly set off to the 4th floor to verify the rumour.

On arrival I spotted several styles that I liked and began optimistically ask if they had any in in a size 7. Each time the assistant would hurry back to check and come back looking a bit pink and say there weren't any in. And then I would send him back to look for another style. And so on, whilst the other assistant panicked around wondering what they had in in a size 7. Becka had sat down on a seat and looked tired of life. With the last pair that I could bear to put on my feet the assistant proffered a 6 1/2 and hurrah they fitted! Ish.

So I had a found of pair I nearly liked and that nearly fitted-which is all I dare ask for.

The Chinese don't half have an annoying way of paying for things. The assistant in a particular section gives you a receipt which you take to a till elsewhere in the store. You pay here and then return to pick up what you bought. Why can't you just buy it there and then? Why the exercise?

The other thing about Converse is that the style I got, which comes up to you ankle, is rather difficult to put on. You have to loosen all the laces and push and heave to get your foot in and then re-tighten and then the next one zzzz...

We are studying how to describe cooking in class and we have to say how to make our favourite dish. I now crave blackberry and apple crumble :(

I asked the teacher why McDonald's does not stock apple pie, only pineapple and taro pie. Seeing as taro pie is hideous and pineapple just strange. She didn't really know but she said the Chinese don't really like sweet things, which explains the taro bleurch, and pineapple is cheaper than apple. I wish they did apple.

No comments: