2010-10-13

Last of the Summer Sun + Dramatis Personae

Today had another fail as I overslept and so missed the first class. I'd been dreaming that I was shopping with Sara in Spain and predictably I did not want to wake up. I sloped over for the second class though. It was glorious weather- exactly like a perfect British summer's day. Warm, but with a freshness in the air. Our teacher thought so too and in a stunningly non-Chinese manner did something Not In The Rulebook and suggested having class outside. We all agreed and we had a lovely lesson sat on the grass chatting away in Chinese. I have even tanned a little today! However the enjoyment of this weather is tainted slightly by Anthony's dark warnings of the bitter Qingdao winter that awaits us... When this happens I intend to migrate south and spend the 6 week spring festival loitering in the sun!

In the course of our lesson I discovered that our teacher lived in Poland for two years. She had travelled all over Europe but liked Paris and Italy best. She did not leave China until university and I suspect this was when China went on a drive to send students to study oversees. She may just be old enough to have studied when Poland was Communist so maybe this was why she was there, of all places. I wonder how well-travelled the average Chinese is. When going to the Entry/Exit bureau I got the impression that a Chinese person has to "sign out" when leaving China and from what I can glean from the internet you have to ask permission to study or work abroad. Not sure about just tourism. In any case I think it is far too expensive for your average Chinese, even to go to bordering countries. This is why I love the EU- being able to travel so easily!

Had lunch with Cash, Becka and Daisy at a sushi place. I have never really had sushi before but it was very nice. It was in 海信广场, Haixin Guangchang, Hisense Plaza, which definitely fits in the category of Shiny. Generally, the only Western stores here, apart from McDonalds/KFC/Starbucks, are designer and jewelry stores such as Gucci, Prada, Tiffany's etc.In Qingdao I swear there must be around 5 outlets of Gucci alone. There's probably not even that many in London! I wonder if the Chinese think our streets are lined with Prada and that everyone shops there... And eats fried nuggets all the time! I often wonder how all these luxury outlets are sustained but I guess that China is so large that even if only a miniscule percentage can afford to wear Gucci, that probably still numbers thousands! We went to the supermarket there, which is slightly more upmarket (read: Western) than the one in Jusco. They had cheddar cheese, Lindt chocolate, Lurpak butter and Heinz baked beans. It is a mark of how long we have been here that we found these items Utterly Amazing... I bought some yoghurt and some biscuits that I had eaten before and loved but never been able to find again. China has this annoying habit of overwrapping everything so in the cardboard box, each biscuit is individually wrapped. Query: absolutely necessary?
Then on to Jusco for cheap bread and jam. Except they had moved the jam. I spent a long time trying to find it, gave up and asked one of the numerous assisstants. Down there, she said, so down there I went. No luck. Another recommended near the front. Another the back. Still no jam. Finally we made the fourth, much to her annoyance, physically take us to the jam.
It felt like a lot of effort for jam, if I'm honest...
Daisy and I also went to look at microwaves. They seemed around 400元 which was what I was hoping for. Intriguingly they also sold microwave-size ovens that grill and cook normally. Also for around 400元. I may be investing in one- the thought of being able to make chicken pie is a tantalising one...

I mention a few people in this blog so I think they deserve a proper introduction so here is a quick dramatis personae- hopefully without offending anyone:
Becka: fellow student from Edinburgh and my "wife". Will kick ass if required.
Daisy: student from Cambridge University. Originally from Bath but lived in Malaysia for a while. As you do. Warm and intelligent.
Ghrassam: also a student from Cambridge. He seems to be a German of Syrian descent. He is the man for whom the word "opinionated" was invented. I like that.
Jesse: a loquacious, gay ex-Mormon here on a scholarship. A sweet guy, if sometimes amusing for the wrong reasons. Got his ass kicked by Becka so there is er, awkwardness, there.
Anthony: my study buddy. He teaches in his spare time and works dutifully hard. He speaks Mandarin slowly but with perfect tones. Originally from Bexhill, East Sussex, but has lived 2 years or so in China. Also a twin :D
Cash: this may or may not be how you spell his name... a chillaxed Londoner who lived in Shanghai for 2 years and came here to work and study. Has now dropped the work to concentrate on study. Loves China.
Helen: another part-time teacher. Lovely lady :)
Nick: also a teacher. Originally from New Mexico. Very cool.
Kit: recent Chinese Graduate from Edinburgh- working in Nanjing
Ruth: fellow Edinburgh student currently in Dalian along with most of the Edinburgh lot. Ruth and Becka are the only ones from my class I really know- the rest I never found time in class to talk to which is a little bit of a shame.
Skateboard beggar: he drags himself around on a skateboard. Looking very pathetic. With big pathetic eyes. I give him 10元 every now and then- mostly because I suspect Chinese Communism doesn't involve such Capitalist policies as caring for the disabled...
Pipe man: plays some awful pipe instrument outside my window every now and then. I am contemplating paying him 100元 to go away and never come back.

No comments: