2010-10-27

Laowai War...

As it was Becka's boyfriend, James,'s birthday we went out to dinner. We asked around to see who was free and wanted to come and both Nick and Helen could make it. Various other people couldn't make it for various reasons which was cool as it was supposed to be if you're free come, if not don't worry. This was to cause problems later...

So we went to the restaurant and spent ages picking what to get. We carefully looked up every character to translate each dish and then wrangled over the best combination. We hailed the waitress and confidently declared our choices to which the standard reply was “没有”, "we've run out". This took the wind out of our sails a tad so in the end we just stabbed with our fingers and went with that. We got lots of small fishes in some sort of stew. I think the fish was mackerel but not sure. Becka squeezed an eye out and tried to get someone to eat it but there were no takers. We also had shredded pork and pepper and shredded beef and shredded vegetables. I spotted that another laowai table, looked like a student and his parents, had got some 锅巴肉. This is an insanely tasty dish that I had forgotten about so that was duly summoned. It consists of deep-fried pork in a very sweet sauce. You can't eat very much of it, it is rather sickly, but boy is it heaven when you do. I also forced a bottle of Tsingtao beer down. Being in China, and Qingdao especially, I have figured that I am going to have to learn to like beer. So I am making myself drink at least a bottle everytime we go out. Bleurgh.

And then we went to LPG for more drinkies. A little while later more friends of ours turned up. Now Helen, as I found out afterwards, and Anthony don't get on apparently so Helen, being slightly tipsy by this point, took him not being at the meal as an excuse to get very very cross with him. He, not really welcoming being shouted at, promptly told her to fuck off which she took personally and then...

To cut a long story short there was a scene and tears and an almost-fight between Anthony and Helen's boyfriend who is also Anthony's best friend so awkward... and Becka, James and I were left feeling rather helpless. We weren't bothered in the slightest that Anthony had had to go to dinner with his football team, which he'd agreed to first, rather than someone he's never met's birthday party. So it was a bit out of order for Helen to cause such a scene. And it was out of order for him to say some of the things he did... Neither really came off well! Which is a shame as I've been getting on really well with both.

Sometimes life here is so different to the UK and then sometimes, so not...

After all that neither Anthony nor Becka nor Helen came to class today (although Becka made it to the 2nd). Bit sad:(

The weather here is very strange at the moment. If you are out of the wind and in the sun it is very warm and pleasant. But the second you are in the wind and shade it is absolutely freezing. The central heating in this building is controlled centrally and they haven't switched it on yet which has been ok so far- I grew up with my Mum after all in 14 degrees :P, but it won't be long before it gets uncomfortable. I saw a sign stuck to the lift that said that the central heating equipment is being checked this weekend and that we must be in our rooms "without fail". However it doesn't say when, other than Saturday and Sunday and I'm not spending my entire weekend in my room waiting!

I have a trial class tomorrow and am petrified. I have to teach my students about Halloween and help them make Jack-o-lanterns. Bearing in mind these are businessmen... I'm worried that we will not have enough time. I remember that Jack-o-lanterns take fairly long to do and the lesson is only an hour and in that I have to teach and tell ghost stories as well as make talismans to ward off evil spirits!

This has the potential to be a really embarassing disaster. Why do I not take the easy way? I always end up making my life more difficult than it needs to be... *panic*

No comments: