2010-10-20

EW TENTACLES NO

Went to a restaurant for dinner. I ordered 五花肉比管 on the basis that 五花肉 is bacon and I figured 比管 couldn't mean anything more than stew or something. However, it does mean more than stew. It means a teeny weeny bit of bacon served in a pile, nay a HEAP of squid, slimy, flaccid tentacles and all.

I don't like squid. I don't do things with tentacles. I extracted a piece of bacon but couldn't handle the plate of tentacles, complete with suckers, in front of me and pushed it away to the corner of the table. *Shudders*. I ate a bit of the shredded raw potato smothered in oil before just munching my way through a cake.

Oh China, you do ruin food. Potato should be served roasted or boiled or fried or mashed. Not raw! What a waste!

Tomorrow we are going on a class trip to 崂山. The Chinese like climbing mountains. We were told to bring a packed lunch so we went along to the shop and perused the selection of sandwiches. Not for China the sensible combination of cheese and pickle, or ham and lettuce, no there must be Weird Stuff. I opted for what may or may not be egg (I can't believe it is) and, er, rice sandwich. Not sure who thought the rice was a good idea...

Job Offer of the Day: Helen's listening teacher had asked Helen if she wanted a job but as Helen already has a job, she gave the teacher my number. I got rung up this evening by a nice-sounding gentleman who I will see some time this weekend to talk more. Fingers crossed this one bears fruit!

Tommy, Anthony's student, keeps texting me. I wanted a language partner not a limpet... Anthony recommends being blunt and telling him not to text 24/7 as the Chinese don't do hints but I haven't been out here long enough to entirely lose my English reserve. I'm just not replying and seeing if that works...

No comments: