2011-04-30

I Didn't Like the Dress

I got off the bus in a fairly good mood today. Then I saw a dead cat on the pavement, and do you know, my good mood just vanished...

So yesterday, as I repeatedly pointed out to my fed up students, was the wedding day of Prince William. They really have no interest in this event. Their monarch was kicked out a century ago and even when there was an Emperor, he had so many wives that one more was nothing to shout about.

Although I did hear that in Nanjing a Chinese couple had a wedding modelled on the royal one, complete with fake royal guards and a horse-drawn carriage.

I persuaded my bosses to let me off work an hour early ("it's my culture!") and got a taxi to the Shangri-La hotel, which had a big screen showing the event. I had to spen 10 minutes waiting for a taxi and when one did turn up, the driver insisted on smoking and singing along loudly to the radio, before picking up other customers. And he didn't drive up to the hotel entrance so I had to walk...

Once inside my posse of fellow Anglo-Saxons, Europeans and confused Asians (Korean Michael: "why are you so excited? I don't care if my president gets married!") parked near one of the television screens which normally shows endless catwalk shows. I happily bitched to Ghrassan about how daft the trees in the abbey looked, let's be honest there is this fantastically beautiful church and they plonk bushes in it to block everyone's view, how boring and un-original Kate's dress was (she seemed to have Grace Kelly's old dress) and how bald William was getting. The Italian Laura couldn't stop laughing at that one... Ghrassan opined that I was jealous and that it was not fair to criticise her on everything. Jealous? Moi?

What DID Princess Beatrice, or Eugenie whichever, have on her head? It looked like something Lady Gaga would wear.

Kate's parents looked lovely though, although I distrust the siblings on sight.

If there is one thing I have learnt from my teaching job is that time, no matter how slowly it goes, nonetheless goes. And that I can fill it with babble quite fluently.

No comments: