2011-04-26

And they're off!

The one thing I had been looking forward to doing in HK was go horse-racing. Every Wednesday at 7pm at the Happy Valley (so named because it used to have a high malaria death rate) track they have races. And last Wednesday at 7pm Becka and I were to be found sat in the members' enclosure, courtesy of a tourist ticket, clutching a "jar" of beer, a form book and our cameras. I diligently bet HK$10 on every race and ended up $34 down. Around 3 pounds. As I placed my bets, sliding my coin (coins! PRC doesn't really bother with them.) under the counter, the serious Hong Konger next to me would be shoving $100 dollar notes at the assistant. There was a room only for minimum bets of $5000. Gambling is very important business in Hong Kong.

The race track is rather spectacular as it is squished in against a backdrop of towering skyscrapers. At night their lights provide a fantastic view. The course is oval shaped and rather short- the longest race was 1800m- and the horses ranged from Hong Kong bred, to Australia and Europe. There was also a museum detailing the history. Originally they raced mongolian type horses but when it got serious they switched to thoroughbreds.

After careful perusal of the form book I set about betting. When my first horse came out, I got all excited. I had bet on each way. It came in fourth, by a nose hair. My luck did not really improve but two correct bets ensured I didn't lose too much...The people around me seemed to put more preparation in.

The horses would come out and walk around the parade ring first. We had an excellent view of this and once or twice I popped up to the rail to run an eye over my selection. Which was normally the one jumping around and sweating profusely as its lad swung from a rope. Then they would ping down to the start, except for mine which was normally humiliatingly ponied down by one of the four patient, if slightly annoyed, grey steeds. As it jumped around and sweated profusely. Then they would start and it was quite a sight to see the shiny horses speeding under the bright lights of a big city.

Then the winner would return to the ring. And mine would stroll back to its stable.

Becka and I had finished our 1st jar of beer and started on the 2nd. The last two races were to us singing Lady Gaga's greatest hits and having a merry time. I needed help getting home.




I love the last one of the guy in the suit and hat.

No comments: