2011-04-09

Hospitals

I've cleverly developed an infection in my eye so today I braved the Chinese Health System. I intrepidly entered the municipal hospital and ventured bravely up to the International Clinic on the 4th floor.

They were closed for lunch.

What kind of doctors' closes for lunch???

So I missed an hour of teaching to go back in the afternoon. I've never used a hospital where you have to pay before so that was quite an experience. It was 21yuan for the consultation and 51yuan for the medicine the doctor gave me so for £7 I can't complain.

The way the Clinic worked was that they have nurses who translate for you with the doctor which is handy as my medical vocabulary is somewhat lacking. My eye had been watering crazily for a while and reddening up when I was tired and it had been this way for a week. Turns out I have an infection in my cornea so I can't wear contact lenses for a while which is a nuisance as today is Becka's 21st birthday party and I was hoping to look nice...

No comments: