2010-09-20

Jazz Steak. Not so Jazzy.

Ventured forth into Qingdao nightlife. It was messy.

Felt very delicate on Sunday. But Becka felt worse :P We crawled out and got a taxi to Jusco. Jusco is a Japanese mall. It has JUSCO written on it in bright pink letters. Unmissable. Unless you were our taxi driver, who had no idea what we were on about so we had to direct him there. Eventually he realised and started saying the chinese pronuciation over and over again. He told us it was Japanese and we were like we know- when we were describing it to you we said so... Plus, in some misguided attempt to make us feel at home or something, he drove on the left side of the road. The oncoming traffic obligingly got out of our way. I nearly wet myself.

Finally we got to Jusco. Alive. We crawled to Starbucks, via pizza place, and flopped into comfy chairs with our rejuvenating tea and coffee and pizza. And then we stayed there for around 8 hours. I perked up with the addition of tea and pizza but Becka melted into a puddle of misery and nausea :( Then off to a restaurant called Jazz Steak. I had been soooooooooooooooooooo looking forward to a steak but what I got given was some sort of boiled, sad cardboard that tasted of bad sausage. Not fillet steak. Disappointment.

Then Daisy, her friend from Cambridge and I went to the beach and just sat on the front and chatted :) I was very naughty and got back after midnight. I was really worried as the curfew is 11 on a Sunday night but as it turned out they don't seem to enforce it. I literally just walked in, past the old man lying on the sofa, and up to my room. Success. I didn't have a very peaceful slumber though- the Koreans were having a party. It was the sort of party which involves shouting "AR-SE-NAL AR-SE-NAL" over and over again. Eventually I heard Becka go out of her room and tell them to shut up.

Spent this afternoon skiving 文化 (wenhua) Culture class. I really couldn't be bothered so stayed in the restaurant with Daisy and Ghrassam chatting for like 2 hours. Apparently the Cambridge lot in Beijing are not giving a very good impression... they tried to introduce their guide to the "concept of banter" and ended up offending them :P It was really nice getting to know them better though.

Becka needed comfort food (she is having horrendous bank trouble) so it was off to McDonalds for dinner. Jesse didn't approve :P We checked out the student kitchen. It looked like a complete death trap so that is a no goer...

Got an email from Mum. She mentioned roast turkey. I started drooling.

While we were in Starbucks this student from Qingdao University, not mine, came over and asked to interview me for a project. (This doesn't seem so random in China...) His friend filmed us while he asked me about what I thought of China etc. Anyway, he asked what I liked to do and I said horse riding- but that I didn't know where to ride in Qingdao. It turned out that he knew someone who worked in a stables and gave me the address! I've checked it out online. It looks really nice and is not far away. Just one thing though- one of the horses is called "Saddam Hussein"...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

will you be riding Saddam? Exciting times