2010-09-16

I Think This Chicken Had Three Feet...

As things are never straightforward in China I got rang up last night and a convrsation started thus:

Me: "...喂?(wei- what you say when you answer the phone)"
Man: "Briailldskjbafbgoavlnbvalbvelongkajbf;kibdf;"

Thankfully I recognised the word "elong" (travel company I'd booked flights with) and managed to reply: "啊你好"
Man: "jkasfhg;ipabvaivbbv中国人吗?" 中国人吗 means "Chinese?" so I took it to mean that he wanted to know if I was Chinese so I mumbled back: "不是,是英国人" (No, I'm British).
At this point he went "Ah good evening Madam I am calling about a reservation you made earlier..." in perfect English. So that was brush with speaking Chinese :P

Anyway it transpired that my bank had refused to authorise payment for the flights I had booked so today I had to rebook-although this time I used another site and Natwest evidently like that one better as they let me pay :D

Tried out the 留学生食堂 (liuxuesheng shitang- foreign student canteen) using Daisy's card. The food was actually not bad although I baulked at eating the meatballs. They were just too... squidgy. For dinner we tried lucky dip at another restaurant. Not good. We ended up with this meat/potato stew thing which sounds nice until we unearthed not one, not two but THREE chicken feet. And one head. I felt a bit sick at this point and went into the shop next door and bought doughnuts. But they had red bean paste in them which is just not as nice as jam. So that was pretty unsatisfactory.

They sell cucumber flavoured crisps here. I don't know why.

Becka and I plucked up the courage to sign on for Taekwondo. At first I was given a suit/costume/whatever the proper name is that was so large you could have fitted both Becka and I in it. I swear I've seen smaller tents! However in the end I managed to get another size that was better but still hopelessly baggy-although I think that that is the point. Classes started today at 7. Becka, Jesse and I left at 6 to get dinner. We wandered to the market first to get some hair grips and for me to withdraw money. And then to the restaurant. We pored over the menu, picked and then sat back. We checked the time. Somehow it had got to 6:45 in the space of around 15 minutes. So Becka and I had to choose between dinner and Taekwondo. Not hard to guess what won. Oh well, we shall start on Saturday!

A riddle for you all that Anthony told me: what is greater than God, more evil than the devil, the poor have it, the rich don't need it and if you drink it, you die? (Answer tomorrow lol)

English of the Day: "Bread companion" written on a pot of jam.

No comments: