2011-03-08

New Semester, New Career?

I was going to write about my first day back at uni (it amuses me that I have my first class of the semester at around the time Edinburgh students are winding up theirs) but actually that wasn't the most exciting thing of the day.

At lunch I received a call from Kenton, who moonlights as a scout. He wanted me, and as many white women as I could find, to audition for a main role in a TV drama. I thought for about 0.0000001 of a second before signing myself up along with Becka, Reina and Daisy. Kenton picked us up in his car and we drove along the highway/massive dodgems track to a hotel where we were ushered into a small room populated by two Chinese men and a lot of cigarette smoke. One of them was sporting an arty goatee, very stylish, and the other looked far more like a conventional Chinese man with his sensible short back and sides. Our audition consisted of us having our photo taken and looking hopeful. They asked about any acting experience, to which we replied, er no, but did not seem to mind. To be honest, I don't think that, judging by the acting standards of many of the normal Chinese "actors" I see in Chinese TV dramas, acting is the most important part. Plus, as one of them pointed out, as Britain has so many great actors, we will also be good. Can;t argue with that.

However I suspect I am not about to become a TV star as I am rather tall- and that is not good for TV. Not when your co-actors are several inches smaller than you. Plus, I should probably be focusing on my degree rather than my acting career...

The second most exciting thing was, of course, the first class. I picked my seat in the new classroom with Sheldon-esque precision. It is next to the window so I have a lovely view of the bay. I am right next to the radiator so, for now, I am lovely and warm. And when summer comes the air-con is right in front of me so double-bingo! Plus I am at the front so can both see and hear rather well. The only downside is that as I am on the left of the classroom, the teacher can sometimes block my view when she writes... but that is something only Sheldon would mind!

My class consists of a million Koreans and a handful of other nationalities. I am sat next to Vanessa, who I knew in B class, and she is from the Congo. There is also one Thai, two Japanese, one Russian and one American. Otherwise, my class got Seoul...

When I started last semester I tried out C class and I can remember how utterly lost I was but this semester, with constant paddling, my head is definitely above water. This means my Chinese has improved woohoo!

*Fireworks and celebrations*

The second teacher we had is going to prove excellent entertainment. She is around 50 and lovely. When she found out Vanessa was from the Congo she turned to the rest of the class and said, "Everyone! Vanessa is from the Congo! The Congo! So far away! The Congo! Wow" *Eyes Vanessa* "Congo has a lot forests, doesn't it?" Vanessa had a fit of giggles so I explained that Congo has a big lake but she misheard my pronunciation of "hu" with the 2nd tone as "hu" with the 3rd, which means tiger not lake and commenced a tiger impression, complete with claws, while I desperately tried to explain, through the growling, what I meant. Vanessa's giggles completely took over.

She then proceeded to tell everyone how attractive the American was and how good his pronunciation is. (His pronunciation is indeed very good. I shall say nothing of his looks.) Then she proceeded to use him to answer all of her questions.

I loved that one so much I have completely forgotten everything from the first lesson. All except the teacher had us sing a song about making friends. Sweeeeet.

Last night we went to a tiny restaurant for all-you-can-eat sushi. I ate too much.

Great sushi though. We introduced the Koreans, and Japanese, to "pennying". It's a silly Western game where you drop a penny in someone's drink and they have to down it. I like culture-sharing.

Just found out it is Pancake Day. We are introducing the Koreans to this as well.

P.s. I saw Anthony and his twin in a restaurant today. I could only tell them apart using methods I use on the Exmoor ponies-namely the patterns of their beards.

No comments: