2011-03-10

How do you say...in...

Class continues. With one hitch- someone has taken my spot... Which has forced me to retreat several desks so I can still see out of the window. The downside is I am now quite near the back and whilst I can still hear ok, the people in front block the board and being out of sight makes it harder to nervously pipe up with an answer. Problem is I know the two guys who have stolen my spot- both are called Michael and are Korean. And whilst one got out of military service by claiming high blood pressure, the other took American citizenship instead (he grew up in LA). This morning I tried to get there uber early to bagsi but Michael still-Korean must have been there all night because he was there before me...

However it did mean that today I was also sat next to a different person. She was a Korean and like most of the Korean girls, wears a lot of make-up. That's one of the ways you can spot a Korean from a Chinese a mile off- they wear more make-up. They also, as this girl again demonstrated, have more of a sense of style as she was sporting a trilby and a blazer. So I had a good chat with her and the two guys in front. She is called Seruna or something and is from Seoul. The lads gave me their Chinese names which I have forgotten. They tried out some English words on me, namely "Chelsea", "Arsenal" and "iPod". Very good.

I dared to speak in French to Vanessa. I asked if her coffee was good and she laughed and said "oui". Tomorrow I may move onto asking how her evening was. Speaking in French is rather hard now as although I have not really forgotten much, I have to make a great effort to bat the Chinese word aside and rummage around for the French. I may be inventing Chench.

Sara and Boram taught me how to say the "weather is very good" in Korean. I can now say "hello", "goodbye", "don't shoot me" as well as commenting on the weather. And I can count to 10 in Russian as well as stutter my way through the alphabet.

If only there was some way to make money from studying languages....

No comments: