2010-12-16

Riches

Went to the cinema yesterday with Vivien, Candy and Becka. We saw some Chinese comedy film that basically parodied Chinese martial arts films, and indeed featured Yoda at some point for some reason. Anyway the Chinese found it hilarious. I didn't.

I was whingeing to Vivien about how much bother teaching was and that the pay was alright but gawd what a faff. Vivien asked how much I got and I replied 130 an hour and there was a slight pause. Then she revealed that when she worked for McDonalds over the summer she got 5.8 an hour. I queried this as to whether she meant 58 but no, she really only earnt 5.8kuai and hour, the equivalent of 58p an hour while I, pretty much untrained, got £13 for muddling through teaching...

5.8! That's nothing! British workers in McDonalds also get 5.8... but that's pounds not kuai! And how could I get 130? After further quizzing I think I earn more than even a doctor! That's the equivalent of getting £60,000 a year in the UK! For being an unqualified teacher whose only virtue, a fairly standard British accent, is merely a happy chance.

So my question is: I am always told "don't take less than a 100! (I don't take less than 130:P)" and if this figure is so stratospherically high, where did it come from?

My dilemma in life at the moment is that my computer is incapable of connecting to the wireless in our flat so I was having to use my ipod all of the time. Which is annoying as it is a rather small screen. But after some fiddling it now connects if I use a cable. This isn't perfect, but by now I'll take anything...

Becka, Boram, Sara and I are definitely going to Harbin next week. EEEEEEEEEEEEEESOEXCITEDDDDDDDDDDD

Daisy came over for dinner. Becka is slightly tipsy from drinking wine. As it's Chinese wine it tastes disgusting so she has warmed it up and the flat smells all lovely and winey. I cooked and we had mash potato (OMG I MISSED YOU MASH POTATO)  and carrots and bits of meat and apple sauce and it was lovely. Lovely.

The Koreans have their friend's dog over. It is a black cocker spaniel with dachsundesque body length. It is terrified of me and skittles away when I approach. As it is a wooden floor it doesn't really go very far and just slithers around in a panic. I find this hilarious and keep saying BOO so it skitters away. Maybe that's why it doesn't like me...

Boram had stomach ache last night so the Koreans decided that the best way to cure this would be to stick needles in each other to draw blood.

I don't get Eastern medicine.

No comments: